If you want your reseller hosting business to look more polished and credible, you should consider using vanity nameservers.
The vanity nameserver makes a website look more professional since it is identified with the selected site rather than the public nameserver. When you install the vanity nameserver, shared web hosting becomes different compared to operating custom name servers either on a dedicated or Virtual Private Server (VPS). With this version, you simply conceal the host’s name but the Internet Protocol (IP) address and physical server that handle your Domain Name System (DNS) remain as the public name server.
Benefit for Reseller Hosting Business
Vanity nameservers can add a touch of formality to your reseller hosting enterprise. When you use the domain name for your nameserver, clients will use either of the two options – ns1.yourdomain.com or ns2.yourdomain.com – in place of the provider’s name servers in configuring their domain name.
Choosing this option allows you to control the Domain Name System set of connections. The reseller will no longer need to inform customers to update their domain names with the new nameservers even if it becomes necessary to move the reseller hosting business to a different provider.
You need a minimum of two IP addresses before setting up a DNS service. Use two cPanel servers or assign several IP addresses to one server. If possible, avoid the second option because the websites of your clients may not be accessible once the name server daemon (computer program) becomes unresponsive. Request your service provider to fit in the new Internet Protocol to the cPanel server for proper configuration. This is important in case you utilize the single server with two IP addresses.
Configuration of Domain DNS
How do you configure your Domain Name System zone file?
The first step is to put in the nameserver’s host names as well as IP addresses to your DNA zone or subset file. The example below uses the GoDaddy DNS Manager although you may choose any domain registrar.
- Log in to your GoDaddy account. Click “Launch” beside “Domain”.
- From the GoDaddy Domain Manager, click “Manage” beside “Host Names”.
- Click “Add Hostname” or “Change” after a new window pops up.
- Enter the hostname for your nameserver together with the IP address. Click “Add”.
- Repeat the same procedures for the other nameservers (there could be more than two).
- Click “Save” after adding all the host names.
You have just configured your domain’s zone file. Expect the changes to take place within 48 hours until the propagation or reproduction has been completed.
Configuration of the cPanel Default Nameservers
Changing of the default nameserver becomes necessary so you don’t have to enter the custom servers each time new customer accounts are created.
- Log in to Web Host Manager (WHM).
- Click “Server Configuration” from the main menu. It should be the following: Server Configuration>Basic cPanel and WHM setup.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the web page.
- Enter the hostnames of your nameservers.
- Click “Save Changes” after you finish the steps.
From this point, the custom nameservers will appear as default once new accounts are created.
The decision to set up private nameservers on the cPanel server produces several benefits such as enabling all the panel’s built-in tools that make changes to the DNS easier. Majority of users prefer their own domain names which run the exclusive servers.
DNS Hosting Service
The DNS hosting service processes servers of the Domain Name System. Many of the domain name registrars take in hosting service of DNS with registration. Various third-party hosting providers offer the so-called Dynamic DNS which involves the automatic update of nameservers frequently in real-time with the functional DDNS configuration of hostnames, addresses, and relevant information.
Optimized hosting originates from the provider with numerous servers in different locations that ensure flexibility as well as reduce latency (delay of data transfer) for clients worldwide. DNS inquiries pass through a shorter distance if DNS nodes operate close to end-users which generate faster resolution speed for web addresses. It is possible to host your own domain through DNS software that run on standard online hosting services.
These computer servers include a database or file that contains public IP addresses and their corresponding hostnames. In most instances, it answers or translates common names to the requested IP addresses. DNS servers make use of special software programs and communicate with one another through unique protocols. Name server, nameserver, or DNS server on the Web interprets or deciphers www.yourwebsitename.com that you input in your computer browser to a series of numbers that make up the Internet Protocol address.
Internet users will naturally remember the website address www.yourwebsitename.com much easier rather than a succession of numerals. However, PCs and network gadgets will understand the IP address more compared to human beings. Thus, DNS servers apply both to humans and computers serving as translator between the hostname and the Internet Protocol Address.
The Vanity DNS refers to a discretionary configuration allowing users to change their reseller provider’s servers utilizing their own brand names. This name hosting service contains multiple features designed to deal with DNS problems. It guarantees that users are not denied access due to overloaded servers. Henceforth, the domain name turns out as the host name which record IP addresses of your reseller provider’s servers.
Installing the Vanity Name Server is straightforward and popular with DNS-managed products. It offers a step-by-step lesson that teaches users how to set up the Vanity DNS using the steps listed below. However, the steps require procedures within the user’s domain registrar account.
- Login to your cPanel.
- Click on the “Simple DNS Zone Editor” under the “Domains” section.
- From the “Domain” drop-down, choose your domain name. Then, under the “Add an A Record” section, fill in the following values:
- Again, in the “Simple DNS Zone Editor”, fill in the following values under the “Add an A Record” section:
- Afterwards, under the “User-Defined Records” section, you will see:
- Login to your Registrar’s interface and register the Vanity Nameservers with your registrar. Your domain registrar should be able to assist you with the registration process if you encounter any issues registering the Vanity Nameservers through their interface.
Address: nameserver/ip address
When you click off of the “Name” field, it will convert to the format ns1.yourwebsitename.com.
Then, click on “Add a Record”. You will see a success message of:
“Added Record ns1.yourwebsitename.com.>nameserver/ip address”
Address: nameserver/ip address
When you click off of the “Name” field, it will convert to the format ns2.yourwebsitename.com.
Then, click on “Add a Record”. You will see a success message of:
“Added Record ns2.yourwebsitename.com.>nameserver/ip address”
ns1.yourwebsitename.com A nameserver/ip address
ns2.yourwebsitename.com A nameserver/ip address
Reason for Using Vanity Nameservers
Everybody will notice nameservers your domain indicates once you perform a WHOIS Lookup or use any domain routing tool. WHOIS means the inquiry and response practice used extensively for querying databases that keep registered users of web sources. These sources include the domain name, independent system, or IP address block. The protocol can be used for a broad range of information as well.
Vanity Uniform Resource Locators
It will also come in handy to know more about the Vanity Uniform Resource Locator (URL) which is a distinct web address branded for marketing campaigns. The custom-type of URL helps users to recall and find specific pages of a particular website. Thus, you can remember, apply, and share your Vanity URL without difficulty. A lot of social media networking platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google Plus provides users and business brands with the ability to personalize their profile URLs. Do not confuse these Uniform Resource Locators with vanity domain servers.
The Vanity URL offers numerous benefits.
- The URL is very easy to memorize.
- It is also simple to share.
- The Vanity URL helps build trust.
- It is user-friendly.
- It enables sharing on the Internet.
- It allows verbal-sharing.
Branded nameservers need more configurations although these servers permit users to maintain absolute control over the Domain Name System. Yet, the additional control compels the website owners to manage their own DNS. You will therefore need a minimum of two Virtual Private Servers with special software which includes Power DN, NSD or Name Server Daemon, and BIND.
You may use your preferred naming format with the most common being, ns1.your domain.com or a.ns.yourdomain.com.
Elements for Vanity and Branded Name Servers
- Registered domain names from a prominent Registrar like GoDaddy, NameCheap, Network Solutions, 1 & 1, and Register.com.
- Glue Records – A Glue Record is the connection of a DNS, name sever, or host name with an Internet Protocol address at the Registry. You can use this platform in setting domain name servers to a sub-domain’s hostname. Another term for Glue Record is “registering a nameserver” or “building a host record”. This Record informs everybody the location of your name servers. It is required to prevent a circular reference which exists when the DNS server cannot be resolved without dealing with the domain it maintains.
Now, that you have substantial information about Vanity Name Servers and other related information, it is possible to proceed with your reselling hosting enterprise.