You will need to determine your web hosting plans in order to sell web hosting services. These plans are referred to as Packages on the cPanel server, and each Package contains an array of Features.
Background on Features Lists & Packages
Web hosting resellers must understand carefully the ins and outs of features lists and packages. To start with, the WebHost Manager (WHM) enables users to control specific features and server systems for clients. With an adaptable platform of feature lists as well as packages, you can easily formulate bundles for users within the range of a reseller’s capabilities.
The process entails creating a feature list before assigning this directory to a particular package. Through this procedure, the user can control icons that become visible on the dashboard of the cPanel which promises an uncommon experience for customers.
Features and Configuration of cPanel
The cPanel account contains two aspects which are the features and configuration of server. Features refer to well-adjusted capabilities such as the following options:
- Server offers a PHP module.
- Identify the databases to be utilized.
- Users may access advanced Domain Name System settings as well as Secure Shell (SSH).
These alternatives are summarized in the Features List. In creating a new features list, look for the Feature Manager tab under Packages in the home screen of WHM.
Configuration of servers means the unqualified limitations of capabilities when it comes to bandwidth, use of memory, and storage capacity. The aspect of assigning static or fixed IP addresses depends on the user’s account information. You may arrange the maximum number of databases along with add-on domains.
Users can see the full display of different cPanel features enabled by means of default. You will find out the absence of the “Unselect All” key. Thus, you must mark off each item that you want to enable manually. At the same time, you need to perform the following before selling web hosting services:
- Describe your hosting plans.
- Identify the disk space allocated for clients.
- State the amount of available bandwidth.
- Inform customers of the number of databases they can possibly create.
Formulating the Feature List
You can generate the following lists:
- List for websites with all items enabled
- Default features list for inexperienced hosting clients
- Advanced features list for experienced hosting customers and make upgrades upon request
How to Build Features Lists?
- Proceed to WHM>Packages>Features Manager.
- Enter a particular tag or label for the new list. Click “Add”.
- Check the features you want to become available for users. Click “Save”.
- Identify the features you want disabled. The possible features include these items:
- Disable the Add-on Domain Manager if you will not allow multiple hosting of domains.
- Advanced Domain Name System zone editor can spoil websites of customers. Enable this only for the advanced hosting customers list.
- The Apache Handlers Manager can also ruin websites.
- Incorrect use of the Crontab software utility can compromise your site.
- Deal with Install (PHP Pear, Perl, and Ruby) modules separately to avoid server issues.
Add to a Package
Package refers to the hosting plan associated with the Features List. Assign a suitable term for the Package after choosing the parameters that will regulate server operations and designate a features list. With the packages and features list, create several offerings that target special functions and general hosting tasks.
The process of adding to a package comes easier once you finish the Features List.
- Click the option, “Add a Package” under Packages at the WHM home screen.
- Define the allocated resources.
- Choose the feature list you created earlier.
- Click “Add” to complete the allocation of resources.
You may want to leave Shell Access disabled primarily for security reasons. After reading the guidelines stated above, you will realize that definition of feature lists as well as packages is more of strategy formulation and not a difficult process.
The cPanel File Manager
You will find below useful information regarding the cPanel File Manager. Use the File Manager’s interface for proper management of your files. The valuable feature allows users to produce, upload, delete, and edit various files without the need for any File Transfer Protocol or FTP and third-party apps. The cPanel platform sorts out the files on your account and transfers them to folders. The interface will take care of managing and editing all files.
Follow these steps to change the directory where File Manager opens:
- Click settings to open the window for Preferences.
- Look for Web Root, www or public html, for the shortest route to your files.
- Or, choose another option to open the Interface in that specific directory. Use this menu to show hidden files.
- Click Save.
If you wish to create New Files or Folders, follow these steps:
- Click + File or + Folder. You can find these icons in the File Manager tool bar.
- Type in the title of the new item in New File or Folder Name (text box).
- Input the location where the system will save the variable either in the new file or folder.
- Click on Create New Folder or Create New File.
To change the name of the folder or file, click the title of the item and key in the new label in the text box. Press the “Return” or “Enter” key to save the modification.
In moving file to any folder, follow these procedures:
- Go the tool bar at the upper portion of the Interface and click “Move”. You will see the New File window. Otherwise, drag the file icon into a different destination folder.
- Type your preferred file path in the text box. If not, click the selected item and “Rename” in the tool bar.
- Click “Move Files” to the selected folder.
In copying files, you need to carry out these steps:
- Choose the file you intend to copy. Remember it is not possible to create a copy of any item in the same folder.
- Click copy from the tool bar at the topmost part of the Interface. You will now see the Copy window.
- Type the file path where you want to save the document in the Copy window.
- Click the icon, Copy File(s) to copy the file or files.
In copying several or multiple files, here are the steps to follow:
- Hold the Shift key while selecting items you need to copy. Or, press right-click and choose Copy from the menu.
- Choose Copy from the tool bar and the Copy window will come into view.
- Type the file path where you want to copy these files.
- Click on the Copy File(s).
To revise the file or folder permissions, perform these procedures:
- Choose the specific file or folder where you intend to alter the permissions.
- Click “Permissions” from the tool bar and the window, “Change Permissions” will become visible.
- You can now use the text boxes (checkboxes) to modify the item’s authorization.
- Click on “Change Permissions” to save the changes you need.
- The function tab will appear gray in case the tool bar action is not available.
- You may utilize a number of File Manager functions one at a time. Choose the document in the file window before trying the functions.
- Renaming, editing, or viewing various files simultaneously will have an effect only on the first selected file in the directory.
In deleting or restoring files or folders, follow these steps:
- Choose the folder or file that you will delete.
- Click “Delete” from the tool bar and the Trash window will come out.
- Click on “Trash File or Files” to confirm the deletion of folder or files.
When you enter the icon delete file or folder, the system will not erase the documents permanently. As an alternative, the system transfers the files to the Trash folder. You can click on Empty Trash to get rid of the files or folders forever.
To bring back any folder or file, you can do the following:
- Go to the tool bar and click the “View Trash” icon.
- Choose the folder or file you need to recover.
- Click on “Restore” in the toolbar.
- Confirm the restore item command.
You have just read and understood the fundamentals of features list and packages which are crucial to reseller hosting. You must keep in mind that the ideal web hosting plan is vital with regards to obtaining substantial volume of traffic that will lead to many conversions.
Hosting providers should not slow down your business website or allow it to crash. On the contrary, they must ensure scalability once the site earns popularity. You can pick several options from a multitude of companies. Compare features judiciously before you make a final choice. The host must back up your site effectively. Otherwise, there are numerous threats and risks that come from cyber crooks or a possible accidental erasure of important information on your site. Competent hosting firms provide their clients with 24/7 support and affordable rates along with a scalable plan, plus teach their clients a thing or two about the finer points of features list and packages.