Do you offer web-related services such as web design and development and are considering selling web hosting services to your customers? Learn about the ins and outs of reseller hosting with the help of this series of guides.
Fine Points of Reseller Hosting
Reselling refers to the practice of companies using resources provided by a web hosting firm and selling these packages as their own assets. In reseller hosting, owners of accounts have the prerogative of using their hard drives and bandwidth to host sites supporting third parties. Resellers buy hosting services on wholesale terms and offer these to users for earnings. Affordable pricing is the main benefit of said approach although resellers may not have the capacity to provide technical support.
Some hosting providers charge resellers according to number of clients. Reseller hosting includes benefits such as conventional and balanced revenues. In fact, many companies depending on Internet technology to promote their merchandise or services often integrate hosting into their range of services. Start-up entrepreneurs benefit a lot from this approach because of the low-risk investment and minimal upfront expenses. Service providers who usually provide reseller services include the following:
- Website and graphic designers
- Database programmers
- Internet marketers
Innovative Hosting Platforms
If your enterprise offers Internet-related services like website design and development, you can think about promoting hosting functions for additional revenue opportunities. You can opt for control panel software like cPanel as well as Plesk which make hosting less complicated. Look at the main difference between the two control panels. You can get Plesk from Linux and Windows Server while only Linux OS supports cPanel.
cPanel is a control panel for website hosting based on Linux which maintains a graphical interface as well as automation platforms that simplify hosting. It makes use of a three-layered structure providing capabilities for resellers, web administrators, and website owners. The system controls different elements of website and server administration via a regular browser. On the other hand, Plesk enables the server administrator to install new sites, email accounts, reseller accounts, and DNS (Domain Name System) entries using an online interface.
Reseller Hosting Upsides
Compared to basic plans, web hosting providers will make sure the reseller controls his or her service offerings as well as clients’ accounts. Additional features of reseller plans facilitate this advantage. Resellers can set up their own outlets with different kinds of hosting products as well as gain access to information of clients including billing procedures, status of accounts, and contact details.
Majority of hosting plans come available at lower costs. It serves as enticement to buy these plans as they become capable of increasing the quantity of parent hosting patrons indirectly. Resellers promote their services autonomously although hosting firms guarantee a full service branding that allows users to catch sight of their services in multiple web pages. Aside from the simple business model, many parent companies provide resellers with tools to launch a web-hosting enterprise.
Compared to traditional plans, reseller options generate revenues because the user obtains income from management of data and servers for business owners who lack sufficient time as well as funds to perform these tasks. It follows the middleman concept where commissions are paid once new clients buy accounts from the mother company through resellers. Many people do not even notice if the host is simply a reseller or the original vendor. The reseller price is typically higher compared to the cost of the real hosting provider.
Understand Technical Requisites
You need to become familiar with five principal areas to start your hosting enterprise.
Web Hosting – Web hosting services function by storing files in sophisticated servers connected to very quick networks. The user types the web address allowing the Internet to hook up to the host server which in turn stores files and transfers information to the desktop computer. Users can start browsing and looking at the web pages. Hosting refers to the required software, bandwidth, support, security, and speed.
The three options to choose from include the following:
- Reseller Hosting
- VPS (Virtual Private Seller) Hosting
- Dedicated Hosting
Despite the factor of affordability, some people choose the dedicated version of VPS. The latter offers the same degree of adaptability as dedicated server at a small percentage of the cost. Even then, you cannot expect an inexpensive hosting plan to produce the same high-performance results achieved by a dedicated server. However, you can possibly increase resources such as disk space and Random Access Memory (RAM) to the Virtual Private Seller hosting as your enterprise continues to grow.
The downside of Reseller Hosting is inferior performance and more security problems as a result of sharing a single web server with numerous users. Besides, your services will become limited. In case a glitch takes place somewhere in the upstream provider, this could mean loss of your valuable customers. Reseller plans are pricier than shared hosting. Resellers are responsible for their services which means you have to handle all the requests and complaints of clients all the time.
Suggestions from Experts
Here are some useful recommendations from veterans in the industry.
- Managed Hosting – You can count on a team of experts who monitor your server and respond to problems 24/7. With this kind of plan, there will always be support technicians who conduct maintenance and security updates for your server.
- Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) Protection – You are assured of protection against any DDoS attack that compromises server protection and data integrity. DDoS means many compromised computer systems hit a target server, website, or network source denying the required services to users. Surge of incoming messages, abnormal packets, and requests for connection forces the system to decelerate or crash and eventually shut down.
- Back-up Service – Majority of web hosting clients presume their data is supported on a regular basis which seldom happens. You need excellent backup at all times such as the practice of some hosts that allow users to preserve images of their servers and restore the VPS to previous condition if a configuration or upgrade suddenly malfunctions.
Website owners look for a strong and dependable hosting environment which requires the need for a dedicated server. In web hosting, consider the following points:
- Amount of data storage – A number of companies claim to supply unlimited storage. Conversely, be cautious about this dishonest marketing scheme. Review the fine print carefully. Storage is immeasurable until you go beyond average use.
- Bandwidth – Storage and bandwidth team up. This means volume of data the host permits users to upload as well as download within one month. Try to stay away from a company that offers unlimited or huge amount of bandwidth. This will simply slow down your website once you go over a particular bandwidth limit. Hosting providers pay for bandwidth so it is not possible to give unlimited space and still make a profit. These providers make use of deceiving practices such as bandwidth throttling.
- Email Accounts – Pore over features and number of email accounts the web host allows you to set up. Authenticate selections to receive emails. At the same time, make sure you have robust email accounts and secure webmail interface.
- Domains and Sub-Domains – Taking care of one account for each website can turn out to be convoluted. Hosting a number of domains and sub-domain addresses this issue. There are limitations for each account. Choose a hosting package that meets your requirements. Most hosting provider offers upgrades or downgrades minus financial penalties.
- Database and Technical Assistance – Most websites depend on databases at the back-end. Conduct research before you select one. The web host must demonstrate reliable support systems including 24/7 live chat, email support, and ticket system. Response time must be at the appointed time.
- Website Backup – Backup is equally vital because data loss can cause a big headache unless the host maintains a backup system on-site and off-site for data retrieval.
- Framework – Look for frameworks like Content Management Systems (CMS) that can be installed without difficulty.
- Modern Control Panel – This type of panel ensures fast and easy management so you can secure your business website without any technical expertise required.
Savvy start-up entrepreneurs or small business owners must compare the fundamental features and prices of prominent web hosting companies. Nearly all hosting firms offer, in essence, the same services and pricing structures. Yet, these arguments tend to be confusing at times.
There are considerable differences for the most part among high-end plans, web hosting infrastructure consistency, overloading servers or having many clients; overselling; and using old servers that generate slow websites and discontented visitors. Practical business website owners must make it a point to check these concerns thoroughly.
New enterprises can start initially with shared hosting since traffic is still minimal before deciding to upgrade to the next level as the number of your visitors go up. Hosting is scalable so you will not really find it difficult to create a strong online presence in terms of marketing. Learn the ropes well before you make decisions and spend hard-earned resources for website upgrades.