It’s essential to understand the basic ins and outs of reseller hosting before deciding to jump into it.
Reseller hosting refers to an enterprise using and selling resources belonging to the parent hosting provider. Majority of web hosts in the United Kingdom create reseller packages. In the case of reseller accounts, owners can utilise their bandwidth and hard drives in hosting websites that support third parties. A reseller purchases hosting wholesale and offers the service for profit without the capacity for technical support.
One major benefit of reseller hosting is balanced earnings. Startups opt for this approach due to limited upfront costs as well as low-risk investments. Service providers who usually offer reseller accounts are web designers, copywriters, database programmers, and Internet marketers. Avoid the fundamental mistakes by learning the basics of reseller hosting before you launch this kind of business.
Here are some essential tips:
- Purchase the service only from an experienced and trustworthy hosting firm. This company will allow rebranding and reselling portions of allocated disk space as well as bandwidth.
- Use a user-friendly control panel that facilitates efficient server management and enables segregation into smaller accounts for clients.
- Concentrate on growing the business and making a profit.
It is not a simple process. Nobody can guarantee a 100% success in this business. You must consider several factors such as your selection of a reseller hosting company.
Reseller Web Host Manager
The Web Host Manager (WHM) refers to a dominant program that facilitates admin access to cPanel’s back-end. Reseller accounts get the basic Web Host Manager and are not capable of accessing Root WHM.
As resellers you obtain the following:
- Tools for creating, deleting, and suspending cPanel accounts
- Tools for managing and monitoring websites along with password resetting
- Access to Domain Name System (DNS) zones
- Capacity to configure requests for customer support through cPanel
- Permission to verify hosting as well as control panel
- Change usernames and client domain names
Resellers do not enjoy these functions:
- Modify the primary username
- Permission to restart services like http, SSH, SQL, and email
- Designate IP addresses
- Obtain automated backup tools
- Reseller centre to manage resellers
- Determine your requirements. It is not difficult to get going with your hosting account.
- Change your nameserver (DNS) to get your site functioning efficiently. Complete the step if you are installing a new website.
- Create the packages. Preset your primary domain name possibly without space and bandwidth. Upgrade your website to one of the new hosting packages. The upgrading process entails logging in to WHM.
- After creating a package, upgrade your account and choose the suitable plan.
Remember not to delete your main site with the hosting firm. Otherwise, your reseller account will stop working. Allocate at least 1 GB (1024 MB) of disk space/bandwidth. Clients with big or multiple websites generally prefer more space and bandwidth.
- Create a new account in the WHM Account Functions tab. Complete the required fields such as domain name for the cPanel. Do not include the www before the domain. If necessary, create a cPanel account for your subdomain.
WHM automatically suggests a username after you click the field. If you wish to have another name, remember it must consist of no less than eight characters (letters and numbers without spaces). Do not use special characters. You are not allowed to adopt the username of Root because the server takes it by design.
Choose a secure and exclusive password for your cPanel account. It must not contain the username or the same as the WHM password whether default or temporary. It becomes a security risk. If possible, employ a password generator for protection.
The WHM utilises the email address entered in the field for instant notification of any problems with the account. Enter your email address in place of the account holder’s email if you choose to receive said emails.
The Package drop-down menu contains a predetermined or fixed list of settings as well as limits. You may apply these features to your accounts. Packages that use reseller accounts are attached to the reseller’s username with an underscore. The approach prevents conflicts between user packages on that server.
Choose the DNS at the Domain Registrar. It allows you to indicate if the domain must use private or locally configured nameservers. Check the option if the Registrar configured private nameservers. The WHM sets the DNS for them in this zone correctly. If not, do not check the box to use default nameservers in the configuration.
- At this point, start uploading your website through the cPanel file manager or File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Client. Include your website’s IP address beneath the FTP address field. You will receive a username and password in your welcome email. Use these accordingly. Proceed to the Public_HTML folder after your FTP has been connected.
Start from Scratch
If you do not own a website, change your Domain Name System. If you must move to a new host, that provider can help. You begin by filling in an online form. Majority of hosts transfer files for a maximum of 30 domains (free of charge) within 30 days after signing up. Change the DNS following completion of the transfer process. Take note of all useful links for accessing WHM, cPanel, and other websites that you and your customers can utilise once their WHM accounts are activated.
Your host usually provides support through chat, ticket, or phone.
- Chat is an ideal method if you need answers right away for basic queries and issues. Technicians can help in immediate troubleshooting and guide you in understanding fundamental concerns.
File Transfer Protocol
You may also seek assistance for sales and billing matters as well as company policies, terms, and conditions.
- Through ticket support, the live support team can endorse your problem to a ticket if it needs more time and attention than average enquiries. You receive an email after the ticket is created. It confirms that your concern has been logged in to the 24/7 support queue. Administrators will act right away to resolve your issues.
- Phone support is available round the clock. Representatives can deal with simple questions, complaints, and predicaments. More intricate problems call for the submission of support tickets.
Expect the service provider to bill you automatically for the hosting service on the due date indicated. This comes after completion of the purchase. Settle your bills monthly to avoid service interruption. Reliable hosting companies provide the required information in their websites.
Online entrepreneurs, who want to engage in hosting for extra income, have options like cPanel and Plesk that make this task easier. Linux supports cPanel. You can procure Plesk from Windows and Linux servers. Compared to basic packages, reseller plans allow vendors to market a variety of products and obtain information of customers. These details include contact numbers, account status, and billing procedures.
Packages are usually cheaper to attract clients. Resellers hype services independently while hosting providers ensure full-service branding. This approach helps users view their services in different web pages. Most parent firms supply resellers with tools for creating a web-hosting venture in addition to the fundamental business model.
Unlike standard plans, reselling produces more alternatives to earn revenues since users generate income from data management as well as servers for merchants who do not have enough time. The practice adheres to the broker concept where resellers get commissions if new customers purchase packages from the company. However, the price of resellers is higher than the cost web hosts offer.
Understand the areas that impact a hosting business.
Web hosting functions by storing files in modern servers connected to fast networks. Users input their web addresses enabling the Internet to link up with the host server. The latter keeps files and transmit information to the computer. Hosting includes software, support, bandwidth, and speed. Your choices are the following:
- Virtual Private Seller
Disadvantages of Reseller Hosting
Reseller hosting’s downsides are security and mediocre performance because of sharing one server among multiple users. A malfunction in the upstream provider can lead to loss of clients. Plans become more expensive because of the middleman business model. As a reseller, you cope with all requests and complaints. Experts propose the following solutions:
- Managed Hosting Plans– It means you maintain technical staff to perform server, monitoring, maintenance, and security updates as well as respond to issues 24 hours daily for the entire week.
- Backup – Data requires 24/7 support which rarely occurs. Constant backup is crucial in case of glitches.
- Protection for DDoS – Guard against Distributed Denial of Service which affects servers, websites, network sources, and data integrity. A rush of incoming messages, irregular packets, and connection requests force your system to crash or become slower.
Now that you have gone through the guide for reseller accounts, the next step is to decide whether you want to make extra income as reseller.