This guide will teach you how to install WHMCS, which will help you to manage your hosting clients.
The Web Host Manager Complete Solution (WHMCS) offers billing and support solutions as well as support for online enterprises. It can handle every process from sign-up until termination. Experts describe WHMCS as a potent instrument for business automation that puts the user in absolute control of operations. This all-in-one client management platform provides a lucrative opportunity for hosting providers.
Understand the following steps in the installation and configuration of WHMCS:
The first thing you need to do is secure your website because you will deal with sensitive information through this software. Install a Security Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate. SSL serves as the foundation of a trusted connection. SSL protects confidential information as it travels around multiple networks worldwide. An SSL certificate guarantees privacy as well as data integrity for websites together with the users’ personal details. The official document encrypts data exchanged between the web server and browser of visitors. Some reputable providers of SSL certificates include GoDaddy, NameCheap, Symantec, and Network Solutions. You will require an IP Address prior to installation of this credential.
Installing the SSL Certificate
- Get a dedicated Internet Protocol Address unless you own a root access to the server. It is necessary to ask your hosting provider to perform this particular function.
- To allocate an IP address to the domain, navigate to WHM>Change a Site’s IP Address.
- Choose the domain from this list and click “Change”.
- On the next page, you can view a list of available IP addresses to choose from. However, the procedure will be quite different if you are using a sub-domain.
- Read the tutorial from the official cPanel documentation. Do not forget to reserve the IP address once you have completed this step.
- After assigning the IP address, add an “A record” to the sub-domain’s DNS zone file.
- Go to cPanel> Advanced DNS Zone Editor and add the sub-domain as well as the dedicated IP address.
Consider the two major scenarios:
- Install the WHMCS on the primary domain which will call for securing the entire website and encrypt everything including non-WHMCS pages. It puts a pointless load on the server no matter how insignificant. It is possible to install the management system at the website’s root (http://www.yourwebsitename.com) or sub-folder (http://www.yourwebsitename.com/whmcs).
- Install the WHMCS on a sub-domain. With this scenario, the default website will exist in the primary domain (http://www.yourwebsitename.com) while the WHMCS will be installed on the sub-domain (http://whmcs.yourwebsitename.com). In selecting this method, you must designate a dedicated IP address to the sub-domain alone.
How do you get a WHMCS?
The license may be acquired or leased with the price depending on the choice of a branded or non-branded version.
- After acquiring a license, proceed to your WHMCS account and click, Services>Licenses & Services.
- Click the “View Details” tab next to the WHMCS license.
- Choose the “Downloads” button.
- Click “Download Now” to finally download the application to your computer.
Steps to install the WHMCS
- You must create a MySQL database together with a user account to have access to this folder before you can launch the installer.
- Take out the files from the system’s archive to an interim folder in your PC and upload the content from the folder to the server making use of File Transfer Protocol (FTP) or SSH File Transfer Protocol (STFP).
- Point your browser to the WHMCS installation.
- Click the link to start installing. You will see the license agreement on the succeeding page. Click I Agree. The installer will verify for system requirements. At times, the director where the WHMCS cannot be written so the installer cannot build a configuration file. However, this will not make any difference.
- With this result, create an empty file and label it as configuration.php on your PC before uploading to your folder. Change the permissions so it can be written by the server (0755).
- Enter your license key on the following page by getting it from your WHMCS account under the Services>Licenses & Services. Make sure to provide the required information correctly before connecting to the MySQL folder that you created.
- Lastly, enter your personal information to create the administrator account. After the installation, you will still perform several tasks.
Cron offers a simple system to schedule tasks. It can operate from the Linux or Unix command lines. Otherwise, set it up within a few minutes utilizing cPanel on your site. In Linux or Unix, Cron is installed as daemon which denotes that it stays dormant for a certain period. Most of the time, this daemon is installed by design as part of the operating system’s distribution.
The most basic method is to enter this command:
# service crond status
The probable output will likely be:
crond (pid ####) is running...
In case you don’t secure a confirmation that crond is finally running, restart the app manually. The command will not simply restart crond but configure it to run during start-up as well.
# chkconfig crond on
Once crond is on, you can put functional scripts in all its sub-directories found in /etc and known as /etc/cron.hourly; etc/cron/daily; etc/cron/weekly; and, etc/cron/monthly. Each directory will run its scripts on the aforementioned periods. Just insert how you want its use and you are ready to go.
Apply Cron in cPanel
The cPanel technique can prove to be easy if you know how to operate cron through the command line.
- You can see the “Cron Jobs” icon at the cPanel’s main screen below the Advanced header and choose it.
- At the next page, you can view the header entitled, “Add New Cron Job” with options for Common Settings as well as minutes, hour, or days (intervals) cited previously.
- Choose the appropriate time interval.
- Enter the command/commands that you want the system to manage in the Command field. Or, look at Current Cron Jobs that will permit you to delete or edit current jobs.
Cron Email Notifications
You can identify a specific email address where you intend to receive notices from the cPanel to confirm your tasks are already running. Majority of users may have tasks running every now and then that will swamp their inboxes with these notifications. Add this code at the end of your access to the command line:
This step enables you to disable these warnings on a per-command arrangement. See to it your cron does not function too often since it can slow down the server and hold back data transfer to visitors.
WHMCS and its Benefits
The WHMCS software lets users manage their hosting clients as well as automate the process of account creation using the Application Programming Interface (API) of cPanel. The platform became popular right away after the application was launched in 2005 by putting together support, billing, and domain registration into a single rewarding offering. WHMCS showed its appeal and convenience to web hosting reseller providers.
This platform offers absolute security to the organization compared to other competitors. WHMCS maintains an impressive track record for ensuring a safe environment for users indicating security as its foremost concern. There are alerts, full security support, and automatic prohibition for recurring failed log-in attempts. At the same time, users of WHMCS can integrate computerization throughout the whole billing process which consists of creating accounts, generating invoices, processing of payments, making reminders, suspension, and termination.
It reinforces the relationships between entrepreneurs and consumers and makes available prompt, valuable, and dedicated support. WHMCS makes easy the incorporation of social media networks and employ the power of these websites (FB and Twitter) to work for enterprises. An insightful or spontaneous ticket support mechanism enables monitoring of customer communications allowing different concerned personnel to handle consumer requirements.
The billing system for services and merchandise represents one of the most essential elements of any business, along with transparency. The app sends a complete breakdown of commodities and services through an invoice notifying patrons what they actually bought which helps maintain a fruitful relationship. WHMCS enables the business owner to send their billing in multiple foreign currencies using 75 integrated methods of payment.
A credible program for client management must consider that one company is inherently inimitable. One template may work for one organization but not for the other. On the contrary, WHMCS gives users the chance to customize and take control of the situation using an assortment of widgets and other tools.
The WHMCS collaborated with major players that specialize in a variety of aspects relevant to their product portfolios. For example, the system works with hosting resellers like Enom and security scanning facilities like Comodo that allows the production of special offers and discounts. It also functions with cPanel, Direct Admin, and Plesk.
At this point, you are well-versed with the Web Host Manager Complete Solution (WHMCS).
Looking what to read next? Visit How to Set up Packages in Web Host Manager to Use WHMCS.